Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July!


Leah in her American flag tee and her McDonald's
I love being abroad, but it's days like today that make me really miss home. I'm craving all the bbq food at the usual family cookouts, especially my mom's ribs and I can't imagine not watching fireworks with you, Tony. There's no real place to celebrate the 4th in Paris, but we did stop at the TGC (The Great Canadian Bar) for a beer because they were thoughtful enough to hang an American flag outside. After our sightseeing today, we stopped at McDonald's since that seemed like the American thing to do. Hope everyone's having a great 4th of July!

TGC proudly displaying the American flag

Today we went to the Louvre for our excursion. It's absolutely ginormous and pretty much impossible to see everything. While I can certainly appreciate fine art, I don't enjoy being pushed in crowds all day, so we went straight to La Joconde [Mona Lisa]. On our way we also saw the statue of Venus de Milo (also known as Aphrodite) and some other great works of art. Of course the crowd in front of the Mona Lisa was very large and it is really unfortunate, but regardless I'm glad I was able to see it in person. It's incredible to experience this piece of art by Leonardo da Vinci that has been fascinating people for ages. After being at the Louvre a few hours we were in need of some air. Conveniently, Jardin des Tuileries is located right outside of the Louvre. So we strolled through the park for a bit and then crossed over the Seine river and sat on the bank and soaked up some sun. After that we headed over to the Lover's Lock Bridge, famously known for the millions of padlocks couples have affixed to the bridge signifying their everlasting commitment to one another.







 




Leah and I at Jardin des Tuileries

Another view of Jardin des Tuileries

A fountain at Jardin des Tuileries




Lover's Lock Bridge



No comments:

Post a Comment